Apart from my general interest in data mining and machine learning, I am particularly interested in the area of data mining of large and complex data sets. My current research focuses on the development of financially inexpensive solutions for mining of large data sets for modest size organisations. For this reason my work aims to develop technologies that utilise the computational power and memory of a network of workstations in order to speed up data mining tasks on large amounts of data.
Furthermore I am interested in data mining of fast streaming data, distributed data streams, and data stream mining on mobile devices. With the continuous advances in handheld mobile devices there is an opportunity to perform significantly useful data analysis tasks in an ad hoc environment. My research aims to realise this using data stream mining technologies, mobile agent systems and embedded programming.
Guest Editor of Scientific Journals
- Expert Systems Journal, Wiley, Special Issue series of the SGAI International Conference Series on Artificial Intelligence, since 2016.
- Expert Update Journal, BCS SGAI, special edition for the 1st BCS SGAI Workshop on Data Stream Mining Techniques and Applications, 2017.
Review Activities for Scientific Journals (extract)
- Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering, IEEE, seit 2017.
- Future Generation Computer Systems, Elsevier, seit 2017.
- New Generation Computing, Springer, seit 2017.
- Artificial Intelligence Review, Springer, seit 2016.
- Computational Intelligence, Wiley, seit 2016.
- Neurocomputing, Elsevier, seit 2016.
- Journal of Intelligent and Fuzzy Systems, IOS press, 2013-2014.
- Knowledge-Based Systems Journal, Elsevier, seit 2013.
- Special issue Contemporary Development of Neural Computation and Applications, Neural Computing and Applications journal, 2012.
Programme Comittee and Review Activities of Conferences, Workshops and Symposia (extract)
- International Workshop on Data Mining in Networks, IEEE ICDM DaMNet2013-2017.
- SGAI International Conference on Artificial Intelligence, Technical Track2011-2017.
- International Workshop on Big Data, Streams and Heterogeneous Source Mining: Algorithms, Systems, Programming Models and Applications, BigMine, 2014-2017.
- First Workshop on High Velocity Mobile Data Mining, 17th IEEE MDM 2016.
- International Workshop on Big Data, Streams and Heterogeneous Source Mining: Algorithms, Systems, Programming Models and Applications, JMLR, 2014-2016.
- First Workshop on Cognitive Network and Service Management IFIP/IEEE CogMan2015.
- Real-World Challenges for Data Stream Mining Workshop-Discussion at European Conference on Machine Learning and Principles and Practice of Knowledge Discovery in Databases, Prague, Czech Republic 27th September 2013.
- IEEE Symposium on Computational Intelligence and Data Mining, Paris, France 2011.
Organisation of Conferences, Worskhosp and Symposia (extract)
- Main Organiser of the UK Symposium on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining 2017.
- Organiser of the Workshop on Data Stream Mining for the Thirty-sixth SGAI International Conference on Artificial Intelligence, 2016, Cambridge, UK.
- Co-Organiser of the UK Symposium on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining 2016.
Deputy Organiser of workshops day of the Thirty-fifth SGAI International Conference on Artificial Intelligence. CAMBRIDGE, ENGLAND, 2015
- PhD Workshop Organiser of the IDCS 8th International Conference on Internet and Distributed Computing Systems 2015.
- Co-Organiser of the UK Symposium on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining 2014.
- Recognised Paper Award at the Thirty-Fourth International Conference of the BCS Specialist Group of Artificial Intelligence, Cambridge 2014 for the paper with the title: Computationally Efficient Rule-Based Classification for Continuous Streaming Data.
- University of Reading, Faculty of Science Internal Research Paper Award (3rd place)
- Best Technical Paper Award at the Thirty-first International Conference of the BCS Specialist Group of Artificial Intelligence, Cambridge 2011 for the paper with the title: Random Prism: An Alternative to Random Forests.
- Recognised Paper Award at the Thirtieth International Conference of the BCS Specialist Group of Artificial Intelligence, Cambridge 2010 for the paper with the title: Induction of Modular Classification Rules: Using Jmax-pruning.
- Best Poster Award at the Twenty-eighth SGAI International Conference on Innovative Techniques and Applications of Artificial Intelligence, Cambridge 2008 for the poster with the title: Parallel Induction of Modular Classification Rules.